Art & Technology Major
The Art & Technology program in the School of Art + Design encourages you to combine new media practice and visual art theory with strong technical sophistication, a rich sense of visual design, and an ability to articulate artistic research. Our program emphasizes creative thinking, experimentation, visual communication delivery systems, and intense research. The Art & Technology program seeks students who are intensely inquisitive, creative risk takers. We encourage rigorous experimentation and innovation at every step of the creative process.
Led by internationally known Department of Art faculty members, the Art & Technology program offers classes in:
- Video art
- Game art
- Art and design history
Majors are required to complete a minimum of 180 credits to satisfy the University of Oregon general degree requirements for either a bachelor of arts (BA) or bachelor of science (BS) degree. A minimum of 72 credits are required for Art & Technology majors.
BA/BS in Art & Technology Foundational Requirements
- ART 115, Surface, Space & Time, 4 credits
- ART 116, Core Interdisciplinary Laboratory, 4 credits
- ART 233, Drawing, 4 credits
- ARTD 250, Print Media Digital Arts, 4 credits
- ARTD 251, Time-based Digital Arts, 4 credits
- ARTD 252, Interactive Digital Arts, 4 credits
- ARTD 300/400 level: Art & Technology Studio, 36 credits (up to 12 credits can be upper division art studio courses in other media areas)
History of Art and Architecture Requirements
- 3 courses in the History of Art and Architecture, 12 credits. Recommended courses include ARH 353 Modern Art and ARH 354 Art Since 1945.