Application: Online applications are available through SlideRoom.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2020
Application Fee: $5 USD
Application Decision: Applications will be reviewed after the January 15 deadline. Decisions will be sent via email during spring term.
Product designers make products more useful, energy-efficient, ergonomically appropriate, cost-effective, and socially responsible. We analyze, we innovate, we invent, we build, we question, we plan and we manage products and systems to enhance the world. As one of our students, you will solve real-world design challenges with fellow students, clients and faculty members. We are delighted to have you apply to work with us!
UO Product Design accepts 45 students per graduation cohort. If you are applying as an incoming first year student to UO, you will be considered for the graduation cohort of 2023. If you are applying as a current UO student interested in a change of major, you will be considered for the graduation cohort of 2022. Because the major includes 120 credits in Product Design, and 60 credits of general education, if you are applying as a transfer student with one or more years of college-level study complete, you will be considered for the graduation cohort of 2022. In unusual circumstances, applicants may be considered for a graduation cohort other than those listed above. The cohort for which you have been considered will be noted in our response to your application.
Department of Product Design applications, recommendations, and portfolios are submitted online. Please do not send hard copies of your applications, recommendations, or portfolio to the Department of Product Design office.
If you have questions about the application or application process, please contact PDInfo@uoregon.edu or 541-346-6697.
Incoming students must complete steps 1 and 2 below. Current UO Students must complete step 2 below:
Complete the University of Oregon Application:
This application includes official transcripts and English language competency for non-native English speakers.
- UO application requirements
- International students must send a TOEFL score report to the University of Oregon, Institutional Code: 4846, Department Code: 4401
- English language proficiency requirements for product design:
- IBT TOEFL Minimum = 88
- PBT TOEFL Minimum = 575
- IELTS Minimum = 7.0. ETS
- Complete the BFA in Product Design Application
- Departmental application via SlideRoom:
- Transcripts: One PDF that includes all of your transcripts
- If you have less than 36 completed college credits, include both your high school and college transcripts.
- If you have more than 36 completed college credits, include just your college transcripts.
- Statement of Interest: A 300-word statement describing what you think product design is and how you see this kind of design influencing your life and the world around you.
- The purpose of the portfolio is to provide the admissions committee a sense of your interests in design and your creative potential. Consider the portfolio itself as a demonstration of your design abilities.
- One PDF file - 20 pages maximum, 5MB maximum
- Include 2D and 3D work
- One additional video project may be uploaded
- Example Portfolio 1
- Example Portfolio 2
- Example Portfolio 3
- Example Portfolio 4
- Two letters of recommendation
- Recommenders will automatically receive an email inviting them to complete the reference requirement
- Please note: John Arndt, Wonhee Jeong Arndt, Trygve Faste, Kiersten Muenchinger, Erdem Selek, Hale Selek, Susan Sokolowski, and Alex Xu cannot be recommenders.
- $5 administrative submission fee
Students from schools other than the University of Oregon may contact the Department of Product Design for more information about how their credits may transfer.
Professional experience cannot be substituted for academic experience.