Applications: The Product Design application process is now closed. The application will open again in the fall of 2018.
Application Deadline: Admission to the program is offered once a year for the following fall term.
Application Fee: $5 USD
The Department of Product Design offers three undergraduate degrees: bachelor of arts, bachelor of science, and bachelor of fine arts. Students are eligible to receive one undergraduate degree in product design from the University of Oregon.
All applications, recommendations, and portfolios are submitted online. Please do not send hard copies of your applications, recommendations, or portfolio to the Department of Product Design office.
If you have questions about the application or application process, please contact PDInfo@uoregon.edu or 541-346-6697.
Eligible students wishing to apply for the Portland BFA experience will have fulfilled degree requirements for a BA/BS or other professional degree before starting the BFA program.
Students from schools other than the University of Oregon, or with majors other than those listed above, may contact the Department of Product Design for more information about how their credits may transfer.
Professional experience cannot be substituted for academic experience.
Incoming UO Students Only
For students new to the University of Oregon, the product design application consists of two parts and must be completed before the application committee will review it.
University of Oregon application includes official transcripts and English language competency for non-native English speakers
- UO application requirements
- International students must send a TOEFL score report to the University of Oregon, Institutional Code: 4846, Department Code: 4401
- English language proficiency requirements for product design:
- IBT TOEFL Minimum = 88
- PBT TOEFL Minimum = 575
- IELTS Minimum = 7.0. ETS
All Product Design Bachelor’s Degree Applicants (BA, BS, BFA)
BFA in product design application
- Application via SlideRoom
- Transcripts: One PDF that includes all of your transcripts
- If you have less than 36 completed college credits, include both your high school and college transcripts.
- If you have more than 36 completed college credits, include just your college transcripts.
- Statement of Interest: A 300-word statement describing what you think product design is and how you see this kind of design influencing your life and the world around you.
- The purpose of the portfolio is to provide the admissions committee a sense of your interests in design and your creative potential. Consider the portfolio itself as a demonstration of your design abilities.
- One PDF file - 20 pages maximum, 5MB maximum
- Include 2D and 3D work
- One additional video project may be uploaded
- Example Portfolio 1
- Example Portfolio 2
- Two letters of recommendation
- Recommenders will automatically receive an email inviting them to complete the reference requirement
- Please note: John Arndt, Wonhee Jeong Arndt, Beth Esponnette, Trygve Faste, Kiersten Muenchinger, Erdem Selek, Hale Selek and Susan Sokolowski cannot be recommenders.
- $5 administrative submission fee