How To Apply
The Master of Fine Arts (MFA), a three-year graduate program at the University of Oregon, is an interdisciplinary program. We are open to the complete spectrum of art practices and are aware that these often change in unpredictable ways. In any given year, we receive from 150 to 200 applications, of which approximately 7 are matriculated, for a total of approximately 21 students in the MFA program at any given time.
There are two parts to the MFA Application:
1. Online UO Graduate Admission Application (SLATE)
- Online Graduate Application (requires credit card or online check)
- Official Transcript Submission
- No GRE required
- TOEFL or IELTS required for international applicants
*If you have not yet finished your undergraduate degree at the time of application, you do not need to send your in-progress transcript to the Office of the Registrar. If you are admitted, you will need to send your final degree transcript after your undergraduate degree has been conferred.
2. Department of Art Application (SlideRoom)
- Background information
- Primary and secondary media focus. Note: the full faculty reviews all applications
- Combined Letter of Intent/Artist Statement (two-page limit). Please be sure that your Letter of Intent/Artist Statement clearly articulates your reasons for choosing to pursue graduate study in the School of Art + Design at the University of Oregon and effectively communicates your priorities specific to your work and practice
- Media: When uploading each of 20 media files that represent your work from the past three years, be prepared to provide: title, dimensions, year, materials, and a description. Artists with time-based work may include up to five 3-minute excerpts
- References will be solicited directly for letters from SlideRoom
- Graduate Employee Application. All graduate applicants are to complete this section.
- Optional CV
Begin accepting applications
Completed applications due
Mid-January to mid-February
Phone interviews with finalists. The department will initiate contact with finalists only. Please do not contact the department to request an interview.
Notification of accepted final candidates
GE assignments made
Questions regarding admission materials or processes? Contact:
MFA Program Assistant